When my handicapped sister, Lisa, is hospitalized, I will take my computer and play all sorts of music and podcasts from my I-Tunes playlists. Her favorite podcasts are by Joni Eareckson Tada. The music she responds to most favorably, I placed in a new playlist, titled, "Lisa's Favorites."
She listened to "Lisa's Favorites" all during the night this past Sunday, and into Monday morning. It seemed to help her focus on something other than her intense pain.
Here is that unique listing of songs (showing the last time each was played):
- You Are My Sunshine 2:33 Bing Crosby Bing Crosby: A Centennial Anthology of His Decca Recordings Vocal 18 8/9/2010 6:28 AM (My sister Alice, as the family calls her, or to the rest of the world, "Cat," will climb into the hospital bed with Lisa, hugging her and singing this to her over and over.)
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow 3:31 Israel Kamakawiwo'ole Alone in IZ World World 50 8/9/2010 6:09 AM
- Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep) 3:05 Bing Crosby Academy Award Winners & Nominees 1934-1960 Vocal 19 8/9/2010 6:26 AM
- Tender Shepherd 2:00 Cyril Ritchard & Mary Martin Peter Pan (Original Cast Recording) Soundtrack 17 8/9/2010 6:30 AM
- Ain't No Mountain High Enough 2:26 Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Gold R&B/Soul 17 8/9/2010 6:22 AM (The nurse actually danced while this was playing, making us laugh!)
- Sunshine On My Shoulders 5:13 John Denver John Denver's Greatest Hits Country 21 8/9/2010 6:20 AM
- The Music Of The Night 5:43 Andrew Lloyd Webber Phantom Of The Opera Soundtrack 15 8/9/2010 6:41 AM
- Mona Lisa 3:17 Nat "King" Cole The World of Nat King Cole (Box Set) Vocal 14 8/9/2010 5:52 AM (My husband, Dave, has sung this to Lisa since she was an infant.)
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot (Single) 3:00 Bing Crosby Bing - His Legendary Years 1931-1957 (Box Set) Vocal 12 8/9/2010 5:55 AM (Lisa and I have loved singing this TOGETHER for ages!)
- God Bless Us Everyone 3:16 Andrea Bocelli My Christmas Holiday 29 8/9/2010 5:58 AM
- I Dreamed a Dream 3:11 Susan Boyle I Dreamed a Dream Pop 40 8/9/2010 6:02 AM
- Hallelujah 5:10 The Canadian Tenors The Canadian Tenors Vocal 44 8/9/2010 6:14 AM
- Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus) 3:50 Chris Rice Run the Earth - Watch the Sky Christian & Gospel 28 8/9/2010 7:02 AM
- Give Me Jesus 4:12 Fernando Ortega Hymns of Worship Christian & Gospel 40 8/9/2010 6:54 AM
- I Can Only Imagine 4:08 MercyMe Almost There Inspirational 18 8/9/2010 6:59 AM (Lisa LOVES this song that was sung at our mom's funeral.)
I'm going to add one more to her list, Happy Trails,by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I have started singing that to her whenever I say good-bye, and she breaks out in her signature dimpl-y smile.
Music has helped Lisa through many difficult nights. I think I could borrow the title from the Phantom of the Opera song she loves, and re-name this playlist, "Lisa's Music of the Night."