Father's Day 2010 has put me in a reflective state. As I ponder the earthly father I am the most closely associated with...that is, my children's father, my husband...I must stop and give praise to God.
Upon our engagement 38 years ago, this, at that time, young man began to set his life in order to care for a family. He immediately sold his cherished 1969 silver, "souped-up" GTO, and his boat, laying aside his hobbies in order to spend time nurturing our relationship. He did the same when our children came along...he continually laid down his own life...for us.
Our children were secure and loved. NEVER did they have worries...in all their life...not even once... concerning their father, in any of the following ways:
- Turn his back on his faith...NEVER.
- Unfaithful to church...NEVER.
- Unfaithful or unloving to their mama. (He still calls me his "bride.") Divorce...NEVER.
- Failure to provide. Abandon them...NEVER.
- Lack of diligence and character in business...NEVER.
- Use any kind of profanity...NEVER.
- Be immoral in any way...bring shame or dishonor to the family...NEVER.
- Be harsh or abusive...NEVER.
- Have no time for them, or neglect their special interests...NEVER.
- Fail to give wise, godly counsel...NEVER.
- Intentionally embarrass them in any way...NEVER.
- Lack of love...NEVER.
How blessed my children are to have such a father! His example makes it so much easier to respond to a Heavenly Father...trusting Him as a God of love.
So...on this Father's Day...I say to my children's daddy, "Thank you dear, for the years of sacrifice...for laying down your life for your family. You have blessed us beyond measure, and you NEVER let us down!"